The Six Best Yoga Poses For Weight Loss
“Yoga is for your mind not for your body!” announced my college professor when I told her that she should try yoga as it would help her shed her unwanted pounds. Of course, she asked for my opinion! So are you someone who harbors similar thoughts on yoga? That it can only calm your mind and cannot compete with other intensive forms of exercise to lose weight. Well, let me clear the misconception once and for all. Yoga helps you beat stress and what is stress? Something that acts as a barrier to your weight loss goals. So using yoga poses for weight loss naturally follows.
Stress is something that we have to deal with every single day and it not only jeopardizes our weight loss plans but also affects our health in a number of other ways. That is why we need something holistic, such as specific yoga poses for weight loss that fuses into our lifestyle and are sustainable in helping us lose the extra weight in the process and also keep it off. Sometimes we feel we are racing against time, trying to fit in everything within the short span of time. Yoga helps you disconnect with the world and focus on yourself and the immediate moment.
Once you are able to bring your stress under control, you will be able to control what you put on your plate and in your mouth, sleep more and relax more. Yoga is not only contorting your body into weird positions but also to reconnect your body with your mind, generally bring back the control with a capital C into your life. So what are the best yoga poses for weight loss? You will find that out in this article.
Top Yoga Poses to Lose Weight
Lose weight without breaking a sweat! Wow! Is it even possible? Yes, with yoga it is very much possible. Read more about some of the asanas that can help you lose weight fast and in a sustainable fashion.
Wide-Legged Forward Bend
This isn’t as easy as it looks but you’ll love the extra shoulder stretch that it offers.
Here is how you can do the pose,
- Widen your feet hip-distance apart, and bend slowly from the hips and from the waist. Keep your back straight and not hunched forward.
- You will a stretch in the hamstrings if you will bend it properly
- Hold the pose for at least 5-6 breaths.
- When you’re comfortable with the pose, clasp the hands right behind the back.
- The next step will be trying to bring them up right towards the ceiling and give both arms and shoulders a lovely stretch. It feels wonderful after sitting at the desk for long hours.
Half Boat Pose
This is another great asana tailor-made for weight loss as it works on your tummy! Your ab muscles will work doubly hard as you try to maintain the pose.
Here is how you can do the pose
- Place your palms on the ground and then lift the legs first. Once you stabilize the pose lift your arms keeping it parallel with the ground.
- Beginners can start with this pose and people who are at more advanced level can bring up the difficulty level a notch higher, by increasing the space between your knees and chest and leaning back more and keeping your knees away from you. This is enough to put your abs on fire.
- Hold this pose for at least 30 seconds.
- Straightening the legs offers your body an extra challenge. This is what you will call a full boat pose and is a much more difficult to master.
Revolved Lunge Pose
This pose works most of your torso and abs. Yes, you’ll feel the fire in the belly with this asana.
Here is how you can do the pose,
- Keep your right hand on the floor right next to the left foot for more support as you get into the pose.
- Keep your front knee at a 90-degree angle and stretch out the other leg.
- Next, rest your right elbow on your left knee, and bring your hands together in a folded position. Then try to increase the stretch in the back and shoulders.
- Tighten your core while you are in this pose and get that extra workout for your abs.
- Hold this pose for up to 30 seconds, and repeat it on the other side as well.
This pose gives your entire body a great stretch. This is one weight loss pose that you simply have to include in your workout regime.
Here is how you can do this pose
- Warrior I is very close to the bodyweight pose, known as lunge, here you point out the back foot instead of tucking it under.
- Bend the right knee at a 90-degree angle.
- Hold this pose for at least 30 seconds and move on to the Warrior 2 pose next.
Move your body into a Vinyasa (flow) and extend it to warrior 2.
- Extend both the arms out as you stand into the warrior 1 pose then move your chest and hips so that it faces your back foot.
- Maintain the 90-degree with your right knee.
- Bring your arms parallel to the floor.
- Hold it for 30 seconds and repeat the poses on the other side too, once you round off one side.
Round off the vinyasa flow with the warrior 3 poses by twisting your chest so that you face the forward direction again.
- Balance your body by bringing your arms out.
- Bring your palms closer towards your chest in the folded position.
- Then slowly you raise your leg up in the air as it helps with the balance.
- Bring your arms before you, maintain the form of your back toes.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds, and repeat the exercise on the other side as well.
Remember all these poses takes time and patience to master, so you have to gradually move towards perfection. Have you begun your weight loss journey yet? Begin it with yoga and feel the enormous impact not only on your body but also on your mind!