Assistant District Attorney
The Bedford County District Attorney is currently seeking an Assistant District
Attorney. Applicants must have graduated from a recognized accredited school of
law with a juris doctor degree and admission to practice before the Supreme Court
This is a full-time position within the District Attorney’s office. Some of the offered
benefits include: Comprehensive Medical Plan; Voluntary Vision and Dental Plan;
Retirement; Paid Time Off; Student Loan Reimbursement
Interested applicants must submit a cover letter and resume to:
Lesley Childers-Potts, District Attorney (email@example.com)
200 S. Juliana St. Bedford, PA 15522
Acts on authority delegated by the district attorney to represent, in a professional manner, the
Commonwealth and the County in the prosecutions of those persons who are alleged to have
violated the law of the Commonwealth within the County.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB: (Illustrative Only)
Upon authority delegated by the district attorney:
• Assists police in the investigation of criminal offenses.
• Provides legal opinions to police relative to investigations.
• Conducts legal research and writes opinions thereon.
• Advises police on the drafting of criminal complaints, search warrants and statements of
• Evaluates evidence relative to propriety of criminal charges and search warrants.
• Assembles and evaluates evidence, interviews and prepares witnesses for various court
• Represents the Commonwealth in the prosecution of cases at preliminary hearings,
pretrial motions, and trials before court and/or jury, post-verdict motions and appeals
to Superior and Supreme Courts of Pennsylvania.
• Represents Commonwealth in Post-Conviction Relief Act hearings in the Court of
Common Pleas and appeals there from to the Superior and Supreme Courts of
• Represents the Commonwealth in proceedings on writs of habeas corpus in United
States District Court, Courts of Appeal and Supreme Court.
• Represents the Commonwealth and the Court of Common Pleas in Indirect Criminal
Contempt proceedings and all appeals there from.
• Represents the Commonwealth in Juvenile Court proceedings and all appeals there
• Represents the Commonwealth in summary appeals and appeals there from.
• Represents the Commonwealth in pre-trial conferences.
• Does legal research and makes oral arguments and prepares written briefs before all
Commonwealth and federal courts of Pennsylvania.
• Responds to miscellaneous requests for legal opinions from law enforcement officers
and the general public.
• Interacts with all other state and local law enforcement agencies and local individuals
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Must be able to speak and understand the English language and to follow oral and
• Must possess effective communication and interpersonal skills.
• Must possess initiative and problem solving skills.
• Must possess ability to function independently, have flexibility and personal integrity
and the ability to work effectively with victims, witnesses, co-workers and others in a
• Must possess ability to maintain confidentiality in regard to case information and
• Must possess thorough knowledge of state substantive and procedural law and rules of
• Must possess skill and ability to analyze, organize and present facts and evidence in legal
• Must possess the ability to litigate cases effectively and prepare necessary briefs and
• Must possess the ability to practice effective time management, organization skills and
to concentrate on work and details of numerous cases at once.
• Must possess a sense of fairness which allows for vigorous yet just prosecution of all
offenders while protecting the rights of crime victims and society.
• Must possess the ability to understand and interpret constitutional provisions, statutes,
and administrative regulations; to analyze facts, evidence and precedents and to arrive
at logical interpretations.
• Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant
• Thorough working knowledge of judicial procedures and rules of evidence.
• Good knowledge of County ordinances and State, Federal, and general municipal laws
including accepted legal or Court interpretations.
• Ability to analyze, appraise or organize facts, evidence and precedents and to present
such materials effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to present and argue cases in court.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Court Officials,
County Officials, and the general public.
• Attends continuing education courses on law enforcement and related issues.
• Attends meetings, seminars and training sessions as required.
• Performs other job related work as assigned by the District Attorney.
Receives occasional instruction and limited supervision from the District Attorney in regard to
daily work assignments.
• Works indoors in a crowded work space, lighting and ventilation, but with fluctuations in
• Works with above average indoor exposure to noise, stress and disruptions.
• Normal indoor exposure to dust/dirt.
• Works beyond normal work hours or works on-call as needed.
• Works daily with volatile and potentially hostile or aggressive individuals involved in
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
• Must possess ability to record, convey and present information, explain procedures and
• Must be able to sit for long periods throughout the workday, with intermittent periods
of standing, walking, bending, twisting, and reaching necessary to carry out job duties.
• Requires simple dexterity of fingers/hands; arms/legs; torso.
• Sedentary work, with occasional lifting/carrying of objects with a maximum weight of
twenty-five (25) pounds.
• Must demonstrate emotional stability.
• Must be able to cope with the physical and mental stress of the position
• Must be able to pay close attention to details and concentrate on work.
• Juris doctor degree and admission to practice before the Supreme Court of
Pennsylvania. Training in computers helpful. Continuing legal education required.
• Graduation from a recognized accredited school of law and admission to the Supreme
Court of Pennsylvania.
• Any equivalent combination of experience and training, which provides the required
knowledge, skills, and abilities.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license and have regular access to a vehicle, may require
• Must successfully pass a background check.
Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to travel if required to attend meetings and
This job description does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed. Employees
occupying this position will be required to follow any other-related instructions and to perform
any other job related duties requested by the District Attorney. Furthermore, this does not
establish a contract for employment and is subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
*The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that
must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the