Temporary General Maintenance Mechanic
Temporary General Maintenance Mechanic
Job Opening # 531599
The Parking and Transportation Department is currently seeking a Temporary Maintenance Support Worker to join their team of professionals.
- Performs skilled maintenance tasks to complete repair work and painting for the up keep of the University parking lots and garages.
- Installs and maintains bumper blocks, county curbs, pavements markings, traffic signage, and information signage in parking lots, garages, and roadways. Paints and maintains garages, lobbies, walls, columns, beams, and floors.
- Inspects and repairs surface parking lot areas and roadways with damage, which include asphalt, county curbs, bumper blocks, curbing, and signage. Installs marking on roadways and garages to include signage, painting, and striping.
- Maintains pavement in adequate conditions. Repairs small pot holes as required. Pressure cleans walls, floors in parking garages and lots.
- Operates special equipment such as forklifts, roller, and special tools during special projects that include minor projects such as graveling lots and other areas.
- Operates motor vehicle to transport materials and for material pickup. Installs and relocates cellular emergency call boxes in parking areas. Installs small drainage structures as required. Operates the backhoe to assist with the graveling of lots & projects.
- Performs essential duties during any emergencies such as a hurricane or any other University closing. Expected to be available for work as needed during a University emergency closing when appropriate notification is made from an administrator.
High school diploma or GED
$20 per hour
- 6:00am - 2:30 pm or 2:00pm to 10:30pm
- Ability to work flexible hours as needed.
- Ability to work occasional evenings, weekends and at locations outside of the University
- Travel to FIU Campus
Driving on behalf of the university (MVR Check only)
- Criminal Background Check
- Driver's License Check
How To Apply
Please apply directly to our website by going to https://hr.fiu.edu/careers/ , select "Prospective Employees" and reference job opening ID # 531599 under "Search Jobs".
If you have not created a registered account, you will be asked to create a username and password for use of the system. It is recommended that you provide an active/valid e-mail account as that will be the main source of communication regarding your status within the process. In this account, you are able to track your applicant status in "My Applications".
To be considered eligible for the position as an internal candidate, departmental staff must meet minimum requirements of the position and be in good performance standing.
Before you begin the process, we recommend that you are prepared to attach electronic copies of your resume, cover letter or any other documents within the application process. It is recommended that you combine your cover letter and resume/curriculum vitae into one attachment. Attached documents should be in Microsoft Word or PDF format. All applicants are required to complete the online application including work history and educational details (if applicable), even when attaching a resume.
*This posting will close at 12:00 am of the close date.
In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the University Police department at Florida International University provides information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three (3) calendar years. The FIU Annual Security report is available online at: https://police.fiu.edu/download/annual-security-fire-safety-report/.
To obtain a paper copy of the report, please visit the FIU Police Department located at 885 SW 109th Avenue, Miami, FL, 33199 (PG5 Market Station).
Florida International University will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access, Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Florida International University is Miami’s public research university, focused on student success. According to U.S. News and World Report, FIU has 42 top-50 rankings in the nation among public universities. FIU is a top U.S. research university (R1), with more than $200 million in annual expenditures. FIU ranks 15th in the nation among public universities for patent production, which drives innovation, and is one of the institutions that helps make Florida the top state for higher education. The Next Horizon fundraising campaign is furthering FIU’s commitment to providing students Worlds Ahead opportunities. Today, FIU has two campuses and multiple centers, and supports artistic and cultural engagement through its three museums: Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, the Wolfsonian-FIU, and the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU. FIU is a member of Conference USA, with more than 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. The university has awarded more than 330,000 degrees to many leaders in South Florida and beyond. For more information about FIU, visit www.fiu.edu.