Executive Assistant to the Dean
Executive Assistant to the Dean
The George Mason University, School of Business, invites applications for the position of Executive Assistant to the Dean. The Executive Assistant to the Dean provides executive administrative support to the dean and oversight of faculty administrative support while professionally representing the Office of the Dean to key stakeholders. This is a full-time classified staff position.
George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Executive Assistant to the Dean has responsibilities in the following areas:
Dean’s Executive Administrative Support
- Manages the Dean’s schedule and associated activities and logistics in accordance with the Dean’s priorities and expectations;
- Provides the full range of administrative support functions for the Dean;
- Proactively anticipates the Dean’s needs to ensure the Dean has information and materials needed for all activities;
- Balances the needs of school senior staff to meet with the Dean along with other demands on the Dean’s time to ensure efficient flow of school operations;
- Interfaces with school senior staff on behalf of the Dean to coordinate issues when the Dean is unable to meet with them;
- Assists the Dean with internal and external communications to help determine priority issues needing the Dean’s direct and/or immediate attention;
- Reviews and streamlines incoming and outgoing Dean’s correspondence to ensure completeness, accuracy, and priority handling;
- May be required to prepare and edit PowerPoint presentations or other reports; and
- Communicates information on behalf of the Dean to internal and external constituents to support activities involving the Dean, and to ensure that school news, activities and important events are communicated for proper dissemination.
Coordination of Administrative Support
- Supervise all area staff personnel who provide administrative support to all faculty;
- Supervise Dean’s Office Administrative Assistant; and
- Supervise all college work study interns to provide administrative support to faculty and school staff as needed.
- Oversight of all Dean level School of Business events;
- Manage Dean’s office activities and events; and
- Provide administrative support and note taking at events as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in office management/administrative and/or executive level administrative support;
- Proficient computer skills with working knowledge of all applications in Microsoft Office, electronic calendaring, e-mail, and local area network applications;
- Effective communication skills both oral and written with ability to engage at all levels of a diverse university community;
- Effective interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Solid supervisory skills;
- Ability to work with senior management personnel;
- Skilled in all aspects of executive level administrative support, especially the generation of external correspondence to the business community;
- Ability to work independently and to complete multiple tasks within tight deadlines;
- Ability to exercise discretionary judgment, diplomacy and tact when dealing with challenging situations and maintain strict confidentiality regarding sensitive matters and materials; and
- Ability to provide the Dean thoughtful input as well as to act for the good of the Dean and the School of Business in a wide variety of situations.
- Knowledge of University and School of Business programs, policies, and procedures.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 02119z at https://jobs.gmu.edu/ by July 22, 2022; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information. Review of applications will begin July 25, 2022 and continue until the position is filled.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.