Financial Planning & Analysis Specialist (or Sr Specialist)
Financial Planning & Analysis Specialist (or Sr Specialist)
Requisition Number S1875P
The Department of Budget and Planning Services seeks candidates for the position of Specialist, Financial Planning and Analysis to assist in the analysis of management statements, plans, and models that support the University’s strategic plans for program creation and stability (at the institutional level, as well as for the colleges/units).
Selected candidates will be hired at the Specialist or Senior Specialist level, depending on education and experience.
About Auburn: At Auburn, our work changes lives. Ranked by U.S. News and World Report as a premier public institution, Auburn University is dedicated to shaping the future of the people of Alabama, the nation, and the world through forward-thinking education, life-enhancing research, scholarship, and selfless service. Auburn is nationally recognized for its commitment to academic excellence, community outreach, positive work environment, student engagement, and thriving community.
Why employees choose Auburn: Auburn University was named by Forbes Magazine as one of the state of Alabama’s best employers, with employees staying an average of ten years. Employees enjoy competitive benefits that include top-notch health insurance, generous retirement plans, tuition assistance for employees and dependents, flexible spending accounts, and more!
Learn more about Auburn’s impact, generous employee benefits, and thriving community by visiting aub.ie/working-at-auburn.
Our Commitment: Auburn University is committed to a diverse and inclusive campus environment. Visit auburn.edu/inclusion to learn more about our commitment to expanding equity and inclusion for all.
Essential Functions for the Specialist level include:
- Assist in gathering necessary data for validation and testing for overall deployment of new models to ensure an accurate and successful project within Anaplan.
- Assists with basic troubleshooting and provides recommendations for solutions. Interacts with Budget and Planning team to enhance the platform based on feedback from campus.
- Participate in the preparation of comparative and historical analysis by gathering necessary information and data.
- Participates in data analysis; gathers, compiles and manipulates data; may determine analytical methods to be used; identifies inconsistencies or significant findings.
- Assists in maintaining existing Anaplan models for annual planning, forecasting, reporting, and consolidations.
- Prepares and analyzes financial performance on weekly and monthly basis to identify key trends and variances.
- Collaborates on quarterly reporting package to management by analyzing performance versus key benchmarks and progress towards institutional goals / initiatives.
- Collaborate with finance teams to support all business functions by recommending and assisting in the building of business-specific dashboards for departments/leaders across the organization, including assisting in the building of long-term financial plans for auxiliary and other units.
- Assists in the preparation of detailed presentations of comprehensive materials; prepares graphs, charts, etc., for presentations.
- Salaries are determined based on factors which include experience and education as they relate to the minimum qualifications of the position and departmental budget. A more realistic salary range that we would be able to offer to most well-qualified candidates is $42,800-$50,600.
Essential Functions for the Sr. Specialist level include:
- Partners with cross-functional budget team to develop road map, identify needs, and understand existing models. Assists in the process of translating into efficiently built and enhanced Anaplan solutions for the purpose of fulfilling budgeting and reporting needs across various units on campus.
- Assists in data validation, testing, and overall deployment of new models to ensure an accurate and successful project within Anaplan. Troubleshoots system and provides recommendations for solutions. Interacts with Budget and Planning Services team to enhance the platform based on feedback from campus.
- Coordinates, compiles, and analyzes financial data for the institution. Develops future enhancements of existing models to drive planning efficiency and growth that is then utilized to provide information to Business and Finance leadership.
- Continuously identify gaps and opportunities for projects that will streamline workflows and overall processes. Collaborate with internal teams to identify areas of opportunity for data automation and efficiency.
- Collaborates with finance teams across campus to help solve financial challenges including building long-term financial plans in auxiliary areas and other units.
- Develops business-specific dashboards for improved decision-making.
- Salaries are determined based on factors which include experience and education as they relate to the minimum qualifications of the position and departmental budget. A more realistic salary range that we would be able to offer to most well-qualified candidates is $55,100 – $65,100
Minimum Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- Accounting, Finance, Business, Data Analytics, Statistics, or related field. A CPA can be substituted if a degree is in an unrelated field.
- No experience required for Specialist level
- No experience required for Specialist level.
- Sr. Specialist requires 3 years of experience in financial planning and analysis or financial modeling.
- Knowledge of generally-accepted accounting practices and principles, ability to analyze financial data, knowledge and demonstration of best practices in budgeting and financial planning.
- Ability to learn, navigate, and administer budget and long-term financial planning software. Proficient in Microsoft Excel and comfortable with large data sets.
- Experience in financial planning and analysis or financial modeling.
Salary Range: $35,000 - $75,100
Link for posting: https://www.auemployment.com/postings/31015
Auburn University is committed to an inclusive and diverse campus environment. Women, underrepresented groups, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
AUBURN UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, sex, religion, color, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by applicable law.