Application Software SpecialistLock Haven University
Lock Haven University
Lock Haven, Pennsylvania Information Technology Lock Haven University is accepting applications for a full-time, permanent Application Software Specialist.
Job Description Summary
This position administers key components of the university’s administrative software applications. The department supports multiple software applications which are interfaced to share data effectively with the main Student Information System that also interfaces with the state system’s SIMS data warehouse and the SAP business systems. Multiple campus offices depend upon the proper functioning and availability of the applications and these systems are the source of official data reporting, including IPEDS and Middle States. The department supports distributed report access and report writing. The position requires an in-depth understanding of the database structure and processing logic of the university’s student information system.
1. Planning and management of projects involving application software implementation, interfacing, and updating.
2. Vendor management.
3. Staff supervision and development.
4. Database management and reporting.
5. Troubleshooting software issues and resolving them is a timely manner.
- Manage key aspects of administrative software applications at the university, pertaining to the Jenzabar Student Information System.
- Administer the university’s database management system software.
- Provide extensive support to users of the Strategic Enrollment Management, Registrar, Financial Aid, Student Accounts, Finances, and Housing modules of Jenzabar information systems.
- Support the interface with the state system SIMS data warehouse.
- Consult with users of assigned departments to develop and maintain programs, processes, and reporting applications.
- Assist in data gathering, data integrity, file maintenance, and software development.
- Participate in the planning, development and operation of technology solutions and services to support the university mission and strategic plan.
- Maintain high quality customer service and satisfaction levels for assigned areas.
- Support the implementation and migration plans for new features and maintenance releases or service packs, and ensuring timely delivery and smooth transition.
- Troubleshoots and provides problem resolution for program errors.
- Troubleshoots and provides problem resolution for data errors.
- Provides technical assistance by responding to inquiries from others regarding errors, problems, or questions about software programs.
- Monitors performance of programs after implementation.
- Supports interfaces between systems and other third party internal/external systems.
- Ensure the security and integrity of university data in assigned software applications.
- Participate in practices to provide depth of knowledge in key software applications, including cross-training and targeted knowledge transfer.
- Consult with and advise leaders of campus offices and functions regarding their information needs and the administrative computing environment.
- Engage campus users in prioritization of competing requirements and demands on limited staff resources.
- Communicate status of projects, issues encountered and future plans to stakeholders.
- Participate in assessment of the department’s effectiveness for continuous improvement and to support accreditation requirements.
- Participate in university planning and resource allocation activities as they relate to the department’s sphere of responsibility.
- Serve on the Administrative Computing Advisory Committee.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Designing system interfaces and reports to ensure that data in all systems and all reporting is accurate and reflects current data.
- Analyzing system problems and deciding upon an approach to resolve issues based on knowledge and experience.
- Selecting system settings and controls, and processing rules, to ensure data security and integrity.
- Evaluating new technology and advising on how the university should proceed.
- Assigning work to staff and providing professional development opportunities.
Minimum Qualifications (Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
1. Bachelor Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Information Technology, or related field.
2. Minimum of five years of experience in managing and supporting complex software applications that govern how key organizational functions are performed.
3. Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with staff and other campus offices.
4. Demonstrated success leading IT projects and implementing solutions; project management skills; ability to manage multiple projects concurrently.
5. Strong written and verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills. Ability to communicate technical matters effectively with people of varying skills and backgrounds.
6. Established organizational and problem solving skills, along with critical decision making capability.
7. Broad knowledge of relevant software applications, operating systems, and technology environments; ability to identify complex system issues and coordinate an effective resolution.
8. Proficiency in the following is required: SQL, Linux/Unix and Microsoft Server environments, and Visual Studio and/or Eclipse development tools.
- Knowledge of the following software is preferred: Jenzabar CX, JX, and JICS systems administration.
- Ability to develop proficiency is desirable in: Java, PERL, and shell scripting.
- Office work including sitting for extended periods of time.
- Extended periods of time using a computer keyboard and monitor.
LHU is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Institution and encourages applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities. Lock Haven University is a member of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education. Our Web site address is www.lockhaven.edu A career at Lock Haven University (LHU) is a distinctly unique and exciting opportunity. We encourage and support diversity and international perspectives within the working and learning environment. Lock Haven University is located in central Pennsylvania along the Susquehanna River and the picturesque Bald Eagle Mountains. Lock Haven University is one of fourteen universities in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PASSHE).