ROAD MAINTENANCE I
Performs intermediate semiskilled and skilled work in the maintenance of Township streets,
roads, drainage ways, storm sewer network, equipment and other facilities; does related work as
required. Work is performed under regular supervision. 40 hour work week, shifts vary with the
season. Some overtime work is required.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school;
• Must possess a valid Class B Commercial driver’s license in the Commonwealth of
• Some experience in maintenance and construction work;
• Experience with technology and computers a plus.
DUTIES AND TYPICAL TASKS
• Collects leaves and brush using one-man leaf truck, chipper, backhoe and trucks;
• Performs demolition work of concrete, and asphalt in preparation of replacement;
• Performs concrete work to install curbing, sidewalks, and driveway aprons along streets
and roads including setting forms, pouring, vibration and troweling concrete;
• Performs work to install asphalt pavement on Township roadways;
• Repairs cracks, potholes, and pavement edges of roadways;
• Performs work to maintain storm sewer network, including pipe jointing, excavation, precast inlet replacement, concrete installation;
• Perform maintenance work within Township rights-of-way and property including
mowing grass, grass and tree trimming, and landscape mulching;
• Performs snow removal and ice control during winter months including operation of
plowing equipment, application of salt and shoveling as required.
• Assists the mechanic in maintenance and daily cleanliness of vehicles and equipment;
• Performs painting of pavement lines and markings on Township streets and within
• Operates equipment including backhoe, front end loader, dump trucks, street sweeper,
compactors, one-man leaf truck, mower, tractor and variety of hand tools;
• Performs related tasks as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
General knowledge of road maintenance and construction techniques and methods; general
knowledge of equipment maintenance techniques; general knowledge of the hazards of the work
and necessary safety precautions; ability to understand and follow specific oral and written
instructions; ability to perform manual labor for extended periods, often under adverse weather
conditions; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates;
skilled in the use of hand tools and operation of motorized equipment; and must be in good
DOT drug screening and background/driver’s license check prior to employment.