Secondary Literacy Teacher
- Location: Gates Chili CSD
- Closing Date: 10/15/2021
The Gates Chili Central School District is dedicated to fostering curiosity, growth, and diversity within our school community. The District celebrates and embraces differences and strives to dismantle exclusion, bias, racism, and prejudice of all forms.
Position: Secondary Literacy Teacher
Purpose: Under the general supervision of the Building Administrator, to facilitate student success and growth in academic and interpersonal skills through implementing district approved curriculum; documenting teaching and student progress/activities/outcomes; addressing specific educational needs of individual students and by creating a flexible, safe and optimal learning environment; and providing feedback to students, parents/guardians and administration regarding student progress, expectations, goals, etc.
- Provides Academic Intervention Services , using a variety of teaching models, including push-in and pull-out models of instruction.
- Assists in the development of curriculum consistent with school district goals and objectives, as requested.
- Promotes a classroom environment that is safe and conducive to individualized and small group instruction, and student learning.
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and translates lesson plans into learning experiences to best utilize the available time for instruction.
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student learning, and modifies instructional methods to fit individual student's needs, including students with special needs; conducts individual and small group instruction as needed.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping, grading, and reporting for all student activities, achievement and attendance as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Ensures that student conduct conforms with the school's standards and school district policies and establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Coordinates with other professional staff members and participates in faculty meetings and committees.
- Supervises students, as needed.
- Administers standardized tests in accordance with District testing programs.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Building Administrator and other Central Office Administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Note:?The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities.? It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiates instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of school curriculum and concepts.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation about performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to effectively engage with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
Certification/License:Certification/License: NYS Certification in English and/or Literacy Grades 6 -12.
Education: Bachelors from an accredited college or university in related discipline applicable to teaching assignment. Master’s degree in related area required.
Experience: Successful prior teaching experience for the appropriate grade levels a plus. Experience working with a diverse population of students desired.
Demands, Hazards: Works in standard office and school building environments.
Equipment: Uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, printer, copy and fax machines, and telephone.
Travel: Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.