Director of Nursing in Santa Fe, NM
Director of Nursing in Santa Fe, NM
Location: The Penitentiary of New Mexico
4311 NM-14, Santa Fe, NM 87504
Director of Nursing
Penitentiary of NM
LOCATION: Santa Fe, NM
Wexford Health Sources, Inc. is a member of the Wexford family: a group of the nation's
leading innovative correctional health care companies. At Wexford Health Sources, Inc., our
philosophy is that health care should not be considered a luxury for anyone. We simply care
for those in need and the corrections environment is our venue.
The Director of Nursing (DON) is responsible for and accountability for structuring,
comprehensive planning and implementing the Nursing Services Program that
guides the delivery of a quality health care program.
Participates and/or directs planning, priority setting and the development of policies
and procedures for health care activities that are in compliance with contractual
requirements, client, and national standards.
Coordinate and monitor orientation, in-services and continuing education within
Nursing Services. Responsible for coordinating and providing clinical orientation and
nursing in-service training.
Coordinates the development, provision and evaluation of patient care according to
the standards of quality care.
Participates in and chairs the Utilization Review Committee, Quality Assurance
Committee and Infection Control Committee; develops and implements procedures,
audits and nursing in-services.
Receives and reviews daily outpatient and infirmary reports. Submits all required
reports on a timely basis.
Conducts regular meetings with nursing staff and ensures the practice of nursing is
consistent with current standards.
Acts as administrator on call for nursing emergencies or nursing staff needs.
Develops and maintains staff schedule for Nursing Services in accordance with
contract terms of nursing coverage. Responsible for making changes in time
schedules, and granting special requests for time off, if applicable
Serves as representative for, and/or liaison between, Nursing services and other health
care providers, as well as Health Services Administrator, and coordinates patient care
with other departments.
Keeps abreast and follows through on incidents occurring on all shifts.
Reviews all discrepancies in sharps and tool counts, investigates, reconciles and
forwards written findings to the Health Services Administrator.
Review all mediation errors, and forwards written findings to the Health Services
Wexford Health offers a competitive benefits package including:
Performance check-ins with annual merit increase (if applicable)
Generous paid-time off program that combines vacation and sick leave
Comprehensive health insurance through BlueCross BlueShield
Dental and Vision insurance
401(k) retirement saving plan
Company-paid short-term disability
Healthcare and dependent care spending account
Continuing education options
The following requirements list the minimum to qualify. An equivalent combination of
education and experience may be accepted.
Current New Mexico Registered Nursing License
Graduate of nursing school required; BSN preferred
3 years of experience in a supervisory/leadership nursing role preferred; 2 years of
administrative and/or correctional nursing experience can be substituted for BSN.
Current CPR certification required.
OTHER KNOWLEDGE/ SKILLS/ABILITIES:
• Strong leadership, communication, delegation, conflict resolution and interpersonal skills
• Ability to function as a “team player”, coordinating efforts with managers, peers and
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to contract and the Company’s
• Strong clinical/nursing knowledge.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Must possess critical thinking skills and ability to independently solve problems
• General math and analytical skills, and planning, administrative and organizational skills
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products including Outlook, Word, Excel and
• Demonstrated experience maintaining multiple deadlines.
• Ability to competently manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
• Ability to work in a stressful environment
• Must be able to direct facility staff to ensure compliance with policies and procedures and
completion of organizational projects.